Sunday, October 9, 2011

Prayer Request!

Hi ya'll!
So I am giving a speech at my co-op this week and I am kinda nervous.....okay maybe more like terrified!! It's called a "Dramatic Reading Speech" When my mom heard we were going to do this speech she said "Hey Emily! You will be really good at that! Your great at being dramatic. It shouldn't be to hard for you!" (thanks a lot mom!) The thing is I have to read it like THEY are saying it, believe me it's not as easy as it sounds! So Peter is loud and obnoxious and John is wimpy/English accent. So I was just wonderin if you people would mind praying that it will go well and that I won't make a COMPLETE fool of myself :)
Thanks SO much!
Emily


Here's the speech


Dramatic Reading Speech

“Second star to the right and straight on ‘til morning.” Most people would recognize this as a quote from J.M. Barrie’s classic book, Peter Pan. These are the simple directions to get to Neverland where Peter Pan lives and never grows up. Neverland is a land of pirates, fairies and adventure.  I chose this scene because when I heard we were going to do a Dramatic Reading, this story seemed like a perfect fit. In this segment, we see how Peter deals with pirates. The purpose of my speech is to share a portion of this beloved Fairy Tale with you.



“Would you like an adventure now,” he said to John, “or would you like to have your tea first?”

            “What kind of adventure?” John asked carefully.

            “There’s a pirate asleep in the forest just beneath us,” Peter told him. “If you like, we’ll go down and ‘get’ him.”

            “Suppose,” John said, a little timidly, “he were to wake up?”

            Peter spoke angrily. “You don’t think I would hurt him while he was sleeping! I would wake him first, and then get him. That’s the way I always do.”

            John said, “How ripping,” but decided to have tea first. Then he asked, “Who is captain now?”

            “Hook,” answered Peter, and his face became very stern as he said that hated word.

            “James Hook?”

            “Aye.”

            Then indeed John could speak in gulps only, for he knew that Hook was evil.

            “He was blackbeard’s boatswain,” John whispered. “He is the worst of them all.”

            “That’s him,” said Peter.

            “What’s he like? Is he big?”

            “He is not as big as he was.”

            “How do you mean?”

            “I cut off a bit of him, “ Peter bragged.

            “But, I say, what bit?” John asked.

            “His right hand.”

            “Then he can’t fight now?”

            “Oh, can’t he just! He has an iron hook instead of a right hand, and he claws with it.”

            “Claws!”

            “I say, John?” said Peter.

            “Yes.”

            “Say, ‘Aye, aye, sir.’ ”

            “Aye, aye, sir.”

            “There is one thing,” Peter continued, “that every boy who serves under me has to promise, and so must you.”

            John grew pale.

            “It is this: If we meet Hook in open fight, you must leave him to me.”

            “I promise,” John said with relief.



So?!?! How did ya like it!?!

PS thank you all SO much for your comments on This Post you people are the sweetest!

2 comments:

  1. Great job Emily. . . I'm sure you'll do great! I remember doing my first speech and I was so scared out Of my mind, but after you get up there its fine! I'll be praying for you(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like it? LOVE it! It's awesome!
    PS I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete